Friday 25 April 2014

The Past & The Design

Time is fast approaching my departure date of May 10, 2014.

As a young person, I used to travel to Mexico with my parents where we would stay for 4 or 5 months at a time. It was there that I established my interest in Latin-American culture. I remember the enthusiasm in the Mexican radio announcer's voice and the unmistakable rhythm in that wonderful, happy Latin music. It never left me and is, partially, what draws me southward.

I am about to leave for a new life in a new country: Ecuador. In specific Cuenca, Ecuador (at least for starters).

These days many people search out warmer climes to hang their hats and enjoy their retirement years and I am certainly no exception. Enjoying this part of our life is what we worked all those years for. So why not make the most of it. That was probably the greatest motivator to me in looking for a new place to call my home. And, of course, in order to live comfortably the cost of living is important. The less it costs to live, the more you have available for other adventures.

So why Ecuador (and in specific Cuenca)?

About a year and a half ago I started cruising the web for the preferred retirement spots that sounded close to what I was interested in and in that voracious consumption of information I found a country where the people are regarded as very friendly and very family oriented. And as I read blogs by many expats already living there, the feeling became warmer and warmer. Keep in mind that I have never set foot in the country and of course you have to be careful what you choose to believe in the information available on the web. However, despite my caution, the feeling has not changed.

Since I am not as tied to family as some and the fact that I don't own a residence, it is a lot easier for me to pull up roots and take a chance. My thoughts are, if it doesn't work out I can always go somewhere else or I can come back to Canada.

I would be lying if I didn't feel some uneasiness. So many unknowns. But that is how we never get anywhere. And I am determined not to let that get in my way. Because there could just be something better out there for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment