Wednesday 24 September 2014

Cedula - Ecuador's Identity Card


I obtained my Cedula (Ecuador's Identity Card) on September 1st, 2014.


From what I have heard, it is not necessary to ever obtain a Cedula; however, there are some advantages:
  1. You can enter the Galapagos for $6 (as if you were a Nacional); instead of the $100 that tourists pay.
  2. You can get refunds on all the taxes you pay after you turn 65.
  3. You can get 50% discounts on airfare in Ecuador (and possibly outside Ecuador).
  4. You can apply for Social Medical Insurance at a cost of $70 per month.
There may be other advantages I am not aware of.

To obtain my Cedula, I had to first obtain my permanent Visa (which I have talked about in an earlier post). After the permanent Visa is obtained you need to apply for the Certificado de Empadronamiento. You obtain this document at the Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores (the same place you apply for your permanent Visa). Incidentally, they speak very good English so there is no necessity to hire a facilitator or a lawyer.

You need the following paperwork to obtain the Certificado de Empadronamiento:
  1. A notarized color copy of your Birth Certificate (long form).
  2. The application for the Cedula (you can fill this in English or Spanish)
  3. A color copy of your passport
  4. A color copy of the permanent Visa stamp in your passport
  5. Marriage certificate (if you have been or are married)
** The Cedula application form can be obtained from the Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores website which was http://cancilleria.gob.ec/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/formulario-cedula-julio2013.pdf at the time of my application.

I was told by a person at the Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores that I would need the following documents to present to the Oficina del Registro Civil in Parque Louis Cardero (Cuenca):
  1. A notarized copy of your Cedula application
  2. The Certificado de Empadronamiento
It turned out that the Oficina del Registro Civil only wanted the Certificado de Empadronamiento and to look at my passport (and nothing more). So, I spent $11 for the notary that I did not have to spend.

I went to the Oficina del Registro Civil, handed in my Certificado de Empadronamiento and waited for my number to be called (roughly 3 hours). I took some stats and it takes them .7 minutes to process one applicant. This involves taking your photo and taking your fingerprints (both hands) and to enter some information into their system.

In my case it took a bit longer because when the person went to enter my information they could not enter North Battleford, Saskatchewan because that data was not available for them to select. So, they had to send an email to Quito (where this data could be input) and I had to wait an additional half-hour for this to occur.

Then I waited another half-hour for them to call my name to receive my Cedula. They get you to look it over to make sure the information is correct. Then you give it back to them and they put the official stamp on it and you are done.

Some people say you need to prove that you are single by obtaining a notarized statement that you are single. If this used to be required it is no longer necessary.

Also I would suggest that in your Cedula application form you state that all you have is a basic education. Otherwise, you may have to produce an authenticated document of your education. Why bother complicating the process? There is no advantage that I am aware of in stating anything but a basic education.

No comments:

Post a Comment