Sunday 11 January 2015

Technology Group Meeting


These days I am needing something more to occupy my time rather than just sitting at my computer all day.

So, I decided to see if there was any interest in forming a technology discussion group.

There is a website (one of many) that expats use to keep tabs on what is going on, what services are recommended, and what things various expats have for sale (including apartment & house rentals). This website is Gringopost. It is a very good resource which I monitor almost on a daily basis.

I posted a meeting date at a popular restaurant (Fabiano's) in El Centro last Thursday evening. Early Friday morning the responses started coming in. Fabiano's has a limit of 15 people per event. I have already exceeded that and have to suggest to additional responders that I will include them in the next get-together.

Out of the respondents there appear to be 3 Ecuadorians that will be attending. That is very good.

As a result of my posting, I have touched bases with a person whom is very interested in 3D printing. This is a technology that is very new to Ecuador if it even exists here yet. It is possible this meeting may prove very lucrative. Time will tell.

If this meeting proves to be beneficial I am going to see if there is interest in forming a group to discuss science issues and associated philosophies.

UPDATE - January 26, 2015:  The Technology group meetings have been very enjoyable and typically attended by at least 6 people.Sometimes there are questions on how to do some particular function or get around some problem and other times they can involve a discussion. I plan on continuing them as long as people are interested.

UPDATE - March 31, 2015:   The Technology group meetings have ceased due to lack of significant interest. However, I managed to make one contact who has turned out to be a very good friend and that has resulted in many interesting conversations. We have also been working on a new website design for a real estate friend of his. We are hoping to make this website the best that exists in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment