Friday 13 June 2014

An Elevation Anomaly & Cuy


I have been doing a lot of walking since I have been here. And one thing I have noticed is that my feet, my ankles and my calves hurt when I have been out walking.

Since I had not been getting much exercise before I left home I thought this was related. But now I am not sure. It was still noticeable after three weeks. I think what the problem is due to is elevation.

When you arrive at an elevation of 8400 feet above sea level it takes a while for your system to adapt. It has to do with your body producing more red blood cells so that enough oxygen reaches all parts of your body. This apparently takes roughly three weeks according to my vet in Canada. Possibly longer in humans (as my vet was talking about my cat Tiger).

Today marks the 32nd day that I have been in Ecuador and I think this elevation anomaly is now residing. The affects of elevation show up in some peculiar but understandable ways.

Onto my second topic for the day.

Last evening Neive took me to a restaurant on Calle Larga (Large Street in English) called the Cuy. The Cuy serves only Cuy as a meat. Cuy is regarded as a delicacy of Cuenca and maybe that is why it was so expensive:  $36.00 for the two of us (although we did have soup, soft drinks and various other side dishes).

Cuy, for those that do not know what it is, is guinea pig. And it's name comes from the sound it makes.

It is roasted on a spit and this causes the outer skin to become crusty. The crusty skin seems to be a preference to Cuencanos (as they also like it in conjunction with a roasted pig).

Cuy is quite fatty, does not have much meat on the bones and has a taste unlike anything I have had before. I cannot think of anything that it tastes close to.

Nieve picked up one of the paws and proceeded to eat it. Apparently the bones are consumed as well.

My stomach was a little upset that evening and that may have contributed to me not liking the taste that much. Nieve seemed a little put out by the fact that I did not care for one of their national dishes. I think she will get over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment