Thursday 5 June 2014

Comments on the Current Weather


The weather today is overcast. As a result it is a little cooler than I would like. But still not that bad.

The temperature is 18 degrees C with 67% humidity (according to my cellphone).

Outside (my cellphone) says it is 20 degrees C and 65% humidity.

Accuweather.com says it is 17 degrees C (63 F) but, feels like 15 degrees C (59 F).

I think Accuweather is a bit more accurate than my cellphone. The "feels-like" temperature feels more like what it really is.

I am sitting inside and I can feel the coolness on my hands. Previous to arriving in Ecuador I had read a Blog of an expat living here in which was stated the same thing.

I am wearing a fleece which makes it comfortable.

In May, I didn't wear my fleece at all (just a short sleeve shirt - even after the sun went down).

There is no central heating in this country. The only thing available is a space heater or a gas fireplace (if you happen to have one available).

According to local information, June, July and August are the coolest months. It also rains less during this period (not that it rains that much anytime throughout the year - not as much as it does back home in Vancouver in the spring, fall and winter).

So, if I decide to stay in Cuenca, I guess this coolness is something I will have to learn to deal with.

There are locations, in Ecuador, that have a lower elevation and that are apparently a bit warmer. One example of this is Loja (which is south of Cuenca). 

Loja is a much smaller city than Cuenca and requires that your spanish be pretty good. I may consider this location in future, but for now I will continue on, at least for one full year, before making any changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment